Tuesday, August 29, 2006

...and the beat goes on

Well, it was another fun night on FTP for me. I played 3 of my 4 $1.25 tournaments and did not cash, so my time on that site for now is near an end.

My luck on this site is unreal. I guess I have simply not adjusted well to the playing style of these SNGs, because it seems like every time I get in, I'm dominated. In this first example I decided to limp w/Q 10 because I needed to get to playing some hands as I was well below the average. Well, when the flop comes mostly harmless against the SB, I made a bet, and he quickly pushes all-in. I was willing to take my top pair good kicker to the bank, hoping to be up against a straight draw or similar top pair hand. Instead, I was up against a small blind special. I managed to suck out momentarily on the turn, but I couldn't even get out a sigh of relief before he re-sucks out and hit his 4-outer on the river. Fantastic.

Here's a screen shot.

Here, after I bet about 1/2 the pot and BB calls, I probably made a bad play by calling an all-in by last position on a K A A flop. I didn't figure the BB would call, and thought the last position fellow probably had a very similar hand to mine. So I went ahead and called with the best made king hand. But no...I'm not only up against one, but the case two aces in the deck. This disgusts me. Not only am I never giving anyone credit for a hand, but I'm always facing hands that are extremely close to the nuts. Where is the typical terrible play with average or less than average hands that you're supposed to see in these low limit tourneys??

Screen shot of this debacle.

In my other tourney I got involved in a race and lost very very early on. I am just getting steamrolled in any sort of FTP tourney. Its becoming tough to stomach. I realize I'm not making great plays in some cases, but even when I get lucky I manage to take one in the jewels.

In other news, I very disappointingly tinkled away a SNG cash at Poker.com. I was sitting extremely pretty to cash, and then in attempt to solidify 2nd place or even climb to 1st, I started playing too many hands while the initially VERY short stack was clawing his way back. Before I knew it, I was pushing w/10 10 and getting outflopped by A 8. But I made a strong recovery, losing a couple of tough hands early on in the 2nd one I played, and coming all the way from 300 chips to a 2nd place finish and net profit of a couple bucks. I'm still loving the $2.20 SNGs at Poker.com, and maybe...just maybe...I can build a bankroll over there.

Originally Posted 8/22/2006

No comments: