Tuesday, August 29, 2006

More Good News?? Nonsense.

I never thought I'd see the day where I was talking/posting a poker story where I hit a run of luck. But I'll be damned if it isn't possible.

Friday night I had gotten an invite from Rich's boss to have a go at his home game. I wasn't terribly interested because I figured the stakes would be a little too high for my liking, and it sounded like the drinks started flowing and the game breaks down to a mess. But Linz was sick and headed to bed early in preparation for us to head out of town the next morning, so I headed over.

They play a dealer's choice cash game, and when I got there they were just starting a game of 3-5-7. I didn't know anybody and had never played the game, so decided to sit out. It was probably about an hour and I "played along" looking at Rich's cards, and the game ended. I got in for my $20, and was 2 in front of the dealer. I folded my quarter antes on a game of 7 Stud and 3 Card Guts, and then it was my choice. Showing my poker prowess right off the bat, I chose Omaha Hi-Lo. Only...nobody knew how to play but Rich. So we explained it, and I told them we totally didn't have to play it, cuz I figured since they play this mixed game they knew it. But they all said "no, lets play." so off we go. I got dealt A2KQ, and raised it up to $2 when it got to me. The flop came K9K, there were some bets, and I raised it up to go and got 3-4 callers. At this point I knew there was no low, but we were playing with 2 decks, so the possibility of being beat right now was still very palpable. The turn was a blank low card and there was more bets and another raise by me and more calls. The river was a K, and there was a bet, some confusion, and a couple folds after I gave out the little tidbit that no low was possible (felt bad about that). I can't remember if I raised or not, but knew I was in pretty good position. I actually expected to see another K and win it with my kicker, but my last caller showed K full of Q, and I took down the more than $40 pot. I felt bad because it was my choice and nobody knew how to play, but I told them I'd pick a different game, and they said no.

After that we went through with more stud, war, and actually a game of blackjack that I won a buck on, and then it gets back around to the guy next to me and he chooses a round of hold 'em (1 deck). Very first hand I get 77 in the hole and the flop comes J67. I ended up going all the way to the river w/a guy holding J6 and won a pretty big pot. Over the course of the next 8 hands I saw 33 & 66 (folded postflop), KQ (lost 1 bet on the river to 2 pair after checking down), AK twice (hit once, missed once), AQ (won), and QQ (won). That may be the best run of hold 'em hands ever seen. I felt a little bit bad because I didn't want to be looked at as a hustler, so I showed down all my hands. It was just a sick run of luck.

To make matters worse, at this point it was 11:00, and they decided to kick up another hour+ long game of 3-5-7, so I had to roll. I ended up cashing out w/a $50 profit, and after giving $10 to the host for the kickass brisket he smoked, I left with a "I'm really sorry I've gotta go like this, but please invite me back and I'll lose it all back to you". I'm not the type of guy to do a drive by like that, so while I legitimately feel bad about it, I think it could be a lucrative game for me, so I hope I get invited back.

Other than that, I played a $2.20 SNG at poker.com yesterday afternoon and cashed in 3rd. I was a bit irritated because this sick suckout artist that I should've taken out midway through and then should've been gone again ended up winning the thing, but that's the way it goes. That bumped me up to $16.70 and back to my comfort zone for the $5.50 SNGs. I sat in this afternoon to try and get in one, but they fill up REALLY slow at poker.com, so I'm sitting in a $2.20 instead. I'm currently killing it with 40% of the chips in play w/5 left, so hopefully I can hang on.

I also switched my poker blog today to Blogger.com because it seems like the cool place to blog about poker and is way easier to customize than LiveJournal. Plus, having 2 logins at LiveJournal was a pain in the ass. So, hopefully I can get in the "network" of poker bloggers and get people linked up and make it easier to keep up with all the well-known poker blogs out there.

Ew, I just lost a sick 2-outer in this tourney. After it folded around, I semi-bluff raised in the SB w/Q7h and the flop brought 2 Queens. Check, check. Turn was a K. Check, min-bet. YAHTZEE. I smooth called to punk him on the river. River K. Check, min-bet again, and I called just because I had to see it. On the one hand, I need to work on my slow-play technique to avoid things like this, but on the other, its questionable as to whether or not I'd have gotten a call on the flop, and there's no way I would've gotten him off his K on the turn, so I may have played that hand in the least damaging way possible, short of folding on the river.

Ok, I'm done. I swear.

No comments: