Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Rough Night

Well, last night I couldn't fade the donkeys and their seemingly endless pocket aces, but I only took about a $6 hit in the end.

I was able to make it home for the $500 guaranteed, where I got all-in with A7 and lost to Kx in 50th out of 94. I was up early, but got short-stacked chasing a draw, hence the push at the earlier-than-hoped stage in the tourney.

After that I played four $2 SNGs, winning one, and going 0-fer in the other three.

I cracked aces once, but I was sent packing in when my short stack AQ ran into the very same player's aces later in that tournament. I also was dismissed at the hands of aces in another of the tournaments on a short stack push w/Ace-face. In the third, someone ran JQ through my KJ push.

I was missing every way you could miss...flops, draws, bluffs...the whole nine yards. So why should I expect my all-ins to pan out, anyway??

In one hand, I picked up AKs and pumped it up to 4-5xBB and got one caller. The board was not particularly threatning, so I went at the pot with sizeable bets on the flop and the turn, but backed off on the river, where my K3c caller had hit a 3 to win the pot. Usually I remain quiet, but in berating this particular donkey, he claimed to be "going for the flush". There was ONE club on the flop, and I guess there must've been one on the turn, but he stuck in there like a real trooper and emerged victorious. Way to go, pal. This hand left me pretty severely short stacked, but this was actually the tournament I won.

The play last night was just atrocious. Usually I can give the players at this level credit for decent preflop play but terrible postflop play and ridiculously overvaluing their hands. Last night you had people pushing preflop like their chips were on fire or something. The sick part is that a couple of times they got called and showed really good hands, not understanding that if you have a monster, you actually don't mind some calls. And it doesn't end there. The overbetting postflop is comical at times, and is what makes it pretty simple to navigate this level of SNGs. But I digress...I'm not quite to the point where I can be critiquing others' play. I am playing at this level, after all.

So, I got clubbed upside the head with the variance stick last night, but I made all the right plays when I had to make them, and got beat as a favorite twice, so I can't be too upset about it. I've got $15 in the roll, and another $50 coming when Jorgen very generously clears my referral bonus, so I'm still in fine shape. I just wish I could get over the hump, here.

Anyway, just thought you might be interested.

No comments: