Friday, February 16, 2007

Somewhere in Middle America

So I finally played a little Omaha last night. And by a little, I mean, seriously, like 10 minutes.

I was playing .05/.10 NL Omaha Hi/Lo at 2 tables. Since I had a very limited amount of time, I was seeing a lot of cards just to see if I could hit and see how it plays, etc. I lost like $2.50, which is quite the hemmhoraging for 10 minutes at that level, but I didn't much care.

I really really want to learn to play the Hi/Lo version because I love the idea of having to figure out what hands to play and how good you still are on every street while you're trying to make a high AND a low. I *love* the amount of thought it requires. But I must admit I was struggling, and was almost timed out several times trying to cover everything.

My question is, before I jump with two feet into Omaha Hi/Lo, should I get some experience in Omaha Hi and get a feel for that first, or should I just dig in and go for Hi/Lo? I could see advantages and disadvantages of both routes.

Anyway, I figured while I'm having so much fun with poker right now there's no better time to finally get into some Omaha like I've been wanting to for so long. However, I may have to have one Hold 'Em table open for every Omaha table I have open, because I think there may be some losing going on at least for a little bit while I am figuring out what starting hands I can play and how far to go with a hand until I know if its a winner or not.

Great game, though. I'd really love to become proficient in it. All in good time...

No comments: