Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Update Time

Well its been...a while...since I posted, so I'd say its high time for an update. Shouldn't be a lot to it. Pretty much...still doing well...still feeling positive.

I actually haven't played since last Monday, the 2nd, because I could tell my wife was getting a little irritated with me delaying dinners and such, and also because I had started to run a little badly and just decided a break wouldn't hurt me.

Now...tonight I should get a good 5 or so hours in, so hopefully I can hit the ground running. I've always played through variance and never tried to sit it out, so I'm hoping the 9 day abscence will see the previously lurking variance just deciding to pass me by.

At any rate, I stand at about $226 right now thanks to this morning's rakeback payment, and although I was previously excited about moving up to the $22s, I don't have any immediate plans to do so. Tonight's plan is to ease myself back in with a couple of $10 6-max SNGs, then depending on how that goes I'll also be looking for the $24 token frenzies and maybe even the $75. If anyone knows off the top of their head when those are, please leave me a comment. Otherwise I'll just try and find them. Assuming I haven't straight up lost every attempt, I will turn my focus to the 90 player deep stack SNGs and have a run there. I *really* like these tournaments (the deep stack part, mainly), and feel like I have a strong chance if I get any semblance of cards. I've played a couple and piddled out in the middle of the pack, but I was never dedicating the level of focus that I'd like to. This is where, bankroll permitting, I may invest in a $22 one just incase I can make a deep run and give myself a shot at a big(ger) score. Regardless, with the deep stacks, I will get a good bang for my 22 bucks. I can keep a 6-max or a .10/.25 table going in the background just to try and pick up a little extra dough along the way as well.

It will be important that I don't get overzealous. Not having played in a week and getting an entire night dedicated to poker could add up to bad news for me. I tend to get a little crazy trying to play and win as MUCH as I can as FAST as I can in these rare opportunities and don't play at the top of my game. Also, the superstition in me looks at the fact that I have NEVER done well when I have had a dedicated chunk of time to online poker. Its always a combination of getting wild/overzealous like I referred to above and just running like shit. So hopefully I can buck that trend tonight and make some significant forward progress as opposed to just treading water or worse.

I'm very happy with where I'm at and how things are going. I still feel confident and strong at the $10 6-max level, but I'm starting to get that itch again to take some chances and make that big score. That said, I'll stick to satellites within my bankroll and hope for the best. I'd like to get back to trying a few of the token turbos/frenzies each week and using those for MTT shots, meanwhile continuing to work my way up with the 6-max SNGs and very low stakes NL HE cash. I have vowed to myself that I will stick strictly to my bankroll, and I will not let variance beat my ass again. If I'm still running bad tonight I will promptly jump down to the $5 SNGs and play through it, or even the $2s if I need to. My goal is to not drop below $200, and I will retain that goal as I progress forward through each successive $100 increment. Maybe its a silly way to go about it, but it will also be just one more step to discipline myself for good bankroll management.

Anyway, at this point I'm just rambling about crap none of you 4 loyal readers give two strokes about.

Bottom line is that I will be on all night tonight, starting at 4:30 CST or 5-5:30 CST depending on whether or not I'm ambitious enough to work out. Hell, IM me! My AOL IM screenname is in my profile. Or if someone wants to clue me in on the legendary "girlie chat" you all talk about, I can show up there. I may even play The Mookie if I'm feeling up to it. Starting an MTT at 9 CST is pretty late for me, but I went to bed early last night so maybe I can push the envelope tonight. ;-)

I also had a live 3/6 session a couple weeks back that I'll have to report on sometime. It was f'n ridiculous. But I must be growing as a poker player because I can actually laugh about just how ridiculous it was, instead of whining about the $100 it cost me.

I'll check ya later.

1 comment:

Wolverine Fan said...

Damn right that was a long time between posts. Don't let it happen again.

You have an excellent plan laid out for tonight. You have strategized, pointed out your weakness when playing w/ larg bloc of time and have a good work around. Now don't BLOW it!!

Patience, patience, patience!!
Good luck.