Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Bloggers Rule, I'm a Fool, Time for School

Hello and welcome to another boring edition of Windbreaker's Blog.

I have to start things off today by thanking the shit out of Hoy and Lucko, two of my favorite bloggers, who at my humble (and likely annoying) personal request, both devoted several paragraphs in their blogs to note taking. Each post on their own are an immense help, but combined they are downright profound and exactly what I was looking for. It says a whole lot about them and their devotion to blogging and the blogging community for them to take this request, take an interest, and post about it within a week. As a result, the note taking thing clicked right away for me, and I was a note taking fiend last night at the tables. You guys rule.

Also, thanks to oossuuu754 for his tidbits on turbo token SNG strategy yesterday. It wasn't a lot, but it answered some of the very sad basic questions I need answered. Plus, how cool is it to have a 2007 Main Event participant posting comments to your blog??

Thus concludes the "Bloggers Rule" portion of our post.

Moving on to "I'm a Fool", while tooling around the lobby of Full Tilt on Monday night I came to realize that the $8.80 18-person turbos are by no means the only way to win a token. I also had seen talk of the heads up matches, but I wasn't interested in investing $13 when I'm not terribly thrilled about my heads up game as of late. But when I spied the 9 player and even a 6-max non-turbo SNG, alarms started going off in my head. For the low, low price of $6.60, I could sit at one of my precious 6-max SNGs and have my shot at a token, or at the very worst, a small profit for 2nd place. Which works for me. The cost is less, the payout odds are the same, and when all is said and done they're both gonna take about the same amount of time. Its a no-brainer for this 6-max afficianado. So I ran one Monday. Grow a big stack, suckout, cold deck, rail. That'll happen. But I ran one last night, and with the typical little to no effort, I had my (virtual) grasp on my first ever token. I don't think they have a 6-max option for the $75 tokens, but I think they have a 9-max. I'll cross that bridge when I get there. But the good news is that it doesn't look like I'll have to stress over the turbos and can settle in where I find myself a little more comfortable. I still want to improve my turbo game, but its one of those things I can put on the back burner until I have a little more wiggle room in my bankroll.

So this brings us to "Time for School". With my shiny token, I bought into the Blogger Bracelet Race.



That's right, folks. Barring the end of the world before 6 PM CST on Sunday, I will be playing my first mainstream blogger event. Look at the company I'm already in in that image. Pretty daunting. It will be a schooling, but at least I'll have finally played a big blogger tournament, AND had a shot at the WSOP within my grasp. My only chance is the fact that I was the 12th player to sign up. That's a lucky number of mine. So look out, cuz I could luckbox my way to the top of the heap with the support of trusty number 12. See you on Sunday.

I did play last night, but we're not gonna talk about it. I went on a strange, unprovoked tilt and donked away 1/3 of my bankroll, but I'm not letting it bother me. Sure, I hate myself a little bit, but I'll get it back. I'd been playing so well and concentrating so hard, it was fun to gamble a little and take some chances in a short 4 table cash game session. Now its back to grinding it out at SNGs and back to new heights before long, I have no doubt.

3 comments:

slb159 said...

Thx for stopping by and the comment...sounds like what I wrote in my article for Pokerworks.

If you haven't read it, I have a link to it in my second to latest post.

Best of luck

Wolverine Fan said...

Congratulations on your winning your Token and good luck in the Blogger Tourney.

If you want a warm up for the Blogger Bracelet race, come to Poker Stars for the Britbloggerment 6. Just $5.50 buy-in and lots of fun. Chipper finished 2nd last week (me 5th) and we need a yank to take it down.

oossuuu754 said...

Gl in blogger brace race hope to see you in the final table. Did you get the SNG spreadsheet, sent it from work email? If you didnt post a comment on my blog