Thursday, September 07, 2006

Another Winning Night? Don't Mind if I Do!

Last night was fun. It started slow, but ended hot.

I sat in the 5:00 PokerStars freeroll, and although I lasted almost 2 hours and had some fun, it pretty much just reminded me how I hate freerolls that are over 2000 people. And the PS freeroll is merely a satellite to the Sunday freeroll, where there's a $1000 prize pool. But I left work early to play the poker.com 5:00, and they don't have it anymore, so I wanted to play something.

After I took my break time to go run at 6:00 (Yes I run more than 5 minutes...I missed hands...bite me), I decided to sit in a $2.20 at Poker.com. Things were going well as usual, and then I took a gnarly beat that crippled me. I'm going to stay away from hand specifics as often as possible because apparently its not cool to blog about hands, but I feel this one is somewhat pivotal to the story. I limp w/K8d in 1st position (don't judge me), and am in the hand w/the button and the blinds. The flop comes 7-high, 2 diamonds, and it checks around to the button. The button bets, and I check-raise a couple times her bet, and she calls. Pretty obvious at this point she's got a 7, but I'm not giving her credit for much more. At some unimportant point we've also lost the blinds. The turn is a beautiful looking king, and the button puts in the rest of her chips. I call without much thought, proud of my big, nasty trap, and she and rolls Q7. I do a little dance, just in time to see a 7 fall on the river. I'm angry, but its just one of those hands. As it were, I still managed to outlast her by biding my time on the short stack, but I bowed out in 5th.

So later on I hop in another $2.20 to go along w/the Poker.com 8:00 freeroll, and what are the chances that to my left sits this very same girl that had hit her very special river card? And then, what are the chances that I'm able to hand her some sweet payback by getting heads up with her and handing her her ass? Well, in this case, the chances were good, because its exactly what happened. With the giant pool of players, especially at the micro levels, its not often you get to dole out some payback online, so it was about as fufilling as a $2.20 SNG win could be.

Although I still don't think she's that good of a player despite her 2nd place performance, she was very nice when we got heads up, so in the spirit of being nice, I typed in "You know, I'm still mad at you for sucking out on me earlier tonight. :-)", to which she replies "What does that mean?". Oh $2.20 SNGs, why do I love you so much?

I also mixed it up in the chat box in the first SNG with this guy who was colluding with his buddy. We're going along in this tournament, and the short stack pushed all-in. The chip leader then called and rolled 57, and proceeded to suck out to win. Like pure geniuses, they then proceeded to chat about how chip lead was trying to get short stack some chips. Brilliant. So I decided to screw with this guy and gave him shit about colluding. Telling him I was already writing my email to support about collusion, etc, etc. He proceeds to lay into me with a profanity laced tirade, and lots of calling me a "fag". Hmmmm...I swear 15 isn't old enough to gamble in the US. Anyway, I had my fun.

So after all was said and done and I watched Negreanu make some uncharacteristically bad decisions against Erick Lindgren and throw away the PPT title (guess he needs more than a minute and a half to work his magic), I put up a proud performance of 79th out of 1k in the freeroll, throttled two of those play money for real money "Steps" SNGs in a row and gotten tickets to level 2, and won a $2.20 and gotten my bankroll back up above $20, where, with any luck, it'll stay this time.

No comments: