Saturday, September 09, 2006

Might I ACTUALLY be running lucky??

So I had a solid performance at poker night last night. And by "performance" I mean "enough cards to make some money", given that our structure is so disgusting. After doubling up within the first five hands, I didn't win a hand and was the first one out at the final table of 8 in the first tournament. In the 2nd tournament I was tilted beyond belief at this loose/aggressive jackass that someone brought, and couldn't handle his style of play, succumbing at the first table. Then in the third tournament I finally saw a run of cards and rode them to a first place performance for a $30 profit on the night. That puts me at $115 profit in my last 4 home/live games. Its actually keeping me away from the ATM and I'm pretty much funding my recent weekends with poker winnings. Its weird.

Impressive home game last night, though. 23 for the first 2 tourneys, and 18 in the third.

This has nothing to do with "running" lucky, but it certainly feels like a lucky occurance to me. I wake up this morning to a $5 transfer notice into my FTP account. I don't recognize the name, but I guess it must be rakeback, even though its puzzling because that's supposed to come on the 15th or 16th, and I really shouldn't be eligible for it given that I haven't cleared my bonus so any bonus earned should cancel out rakeback. But...I'm alive again! I'm just not sure how to spend it. I could jump in a $.05/.10 cash game and hope for the best, or I could run 4 of the $1.25 45 person tourneys. Each have their benefits and drawbacks. I really don't know which way to go. Regardless, its nice to have a little more money to tinker with there given the upward trending of my recent poker success. I would REALLY REALLY love to build there. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

And speaking of FTP, it was interesting to get an email yesterday about the new NL and PL Cap games they're spreading. This seems like it'd be right up my alley, given how I feel like I lose too often when I get my money in as a favorite. If nothing else, it would be a good intermediate step as I refine my pure NL cash game, which is mediocre at best. In general, it also takes the big stack element out of a "NL" cash game. Captain Millionare can now push his A 10 off against Joe Blow's AK as much as he wants, and it hurts a little less when Joe Blow gets sucked out on. If these games catch on, they could bring a whole new aspect to the poker phenominon. Its a whole new version of the game to master, and unless I'm missing something, it could even carry over to Cap tournaments. You have your SB, BB, and the Cap, all that increase incrementally. Within a couple of years we could see Cap events at the WSOP. I don't wanna put the cart before the horse, but if it happens, you heard it here first.

That's it for now. I've gotta go run and get packed up to head to Ames to tailgate for the ISU vs. UNLV game. Much beer and deceased mammal will be consumed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'd go with the SNG route on Full Tilt. It sounded like a pretty crazy game last night, yet again.

-Jorgen