Sunday, October 22, 2006

Punch in the Crotch

Well, I'm off to a rousing start this morning!

In the first SNG I played in, I was pretty card dead and doing a decent job at maintaining. I was ready to turn things around when I finally picked up AA in middle position. With blinds at $50/100, and only 3 left to act behind me, I considered the slow play again (see last post), but didn't wanna be greedy, and really felt like I'd get a call. I figured if I'd get a call, I might as well put all of my last 900-some, screaming overbet steal as loud as I could. The SB, who was a massive chip leader and call station supreme, deliberated for a while and finally called w/9 10 off. By the time the J fell on the river, he had filled in his gutshot, and IGH in 5th. Aces cracked, first tourney of the day.

So, undaunted, I pop open another one. Things are going well early, and I pick up QQ in middle position. I raised it up 5xBB, and I got 2 short stack callers. Perfect. Now just a low flop, please. The flop comes 235, rainbow. Even more perfect. First to act pushes the rest of his short stack, and I come over the top. I probably should've smooth called, but that's neither here nor there. The third player bows out, and the pusher shows A4 off, for the flopped straight. He called my 5xBB raise w/A4o. Shortly after that, I do manage to double up and reclaim my 3rd place standing. Then I pick up 9 10o in the cutoff seat. With only 1 caller thus far and the blinds yet to act, I decide that I'd like to see a flop with the hand. The flop comes 9 A 10, and I'm pretty happy that I saw a flop at this point. First to act fires a bet of $120 into a $150 pot. Big blind falls, and I double his bet. He re-raises, and I push all-in, putting him on Ax with a perfect opportunity to cash in on 2 pair. And he did have Ax, where x=10. To add insult to injury, the turn comes 10, and the river comes A, for double trips. F off. So I'm short again. The blinds then proceed to go up to 50/100 and I find myself on a 600 chip stack. I pick up A2o UTG, and normally I hate to push this hand because ANY ace can call and beat me, but this time I did it. Probably tilted...whatever. The bain of my existance (my buddy who called my 5xBB raise w/A4o) calls me in the BB w/A8, and I figured that was about right. Only this time the flop brings a little bit of help with low cards and a deuce. But an 8 on the river made things "right". As I type this, this guy just took down the tournament. Easily the worst player at the table, lucky all the way to the bank.

So...I'm gonna go ahead and take a little break, because things are a might bit ridiculous right now. Maybe even call it a day if this is the way things are gonna go.

6 comments:

slb159 said...

Can I get some Rudolph with that Bumble? Nice pic.
See you at the tabels.
Best of luck.

WindBreak247 said...

I knew if I put Bumble up there I'd eventually get a shout out from a fellow old schooler.

Thanks for stopping by, and I'll get you added to my feeds!

Anonymous said...

My youngest loves that movie and wants to watch it year round.

WindBreak247 said...

Your youngest and I have that in common. ;-)

NewinNov said...

Good points with what you wrote in my blog. It seems like I only play cash games to provide me funds so I can play MTT's.

You're right about that DVD. It is called, "Poker secrets from poker champs" but is really just a general interview with poker champs that throw out ideas like have patience, you have to pay your dues, etc.

You know you can play satellites cheaply but that also means you have to win the damn thing to get an entry. That's why went I try to play the $215 $1M Sunday on PS, I play for $39+$3 which is one ticket for every six players. Otherwise it just becomes too much of a crapshoot.

Sometimes it might be better just to focus on one tack like SNG's, MTT's, cash games, whatever rather than bounce around like I've been doing and going in circles. Seems to work for some bloggers. During the Big Blogger tourney, Fuel mentioned he had two $10K months. Now that's incredible. That could pay for a lot of buyins.

NewinNov said...

Just read your entry. Wow, them's some tough breaks. It's moments like those that I wonder why I play and glad I'm not playing above my bankroll. Variance is a XXX. BTW - I easily push while short stacked against the blinds with no other players in the hand with Ax.