Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Big Blind Special...Like, "Helmet" Special

This might be the sickest river card I've ever had the displeasure of dealing with.

Mansion Poker - .25/.50 NL
Seat 1: MP2(53.18)
Seat 2: Cutoff(84.13)
Seat 3: Button(3.97)
Seat 5: SB(25.50)
Seat 6: WindBreak247(36.05)
Seat 7: UTG(102.53)
Seat 8: UTG+1(14.55)
Seat 9: Villian(61.90)

SB posts small blind (0.25)
WindBreak247 posts big blind (0.50)
WindBreak247 is dealt down [Ts Kd]
Villian calls (0.50)
Cutoff calls (0.50)
Button calls (0.50)
SB calls (0.50)
WindBreak247 checks - I'm not in love with this hand preflop and happy to check.
flop: [3s 5d Th]
SB checks
WindBreak247 bets (2.40) - Pretty damn nice board for this hand, so I'll bet the pot and see what develops. I'm happy to keep playing or take it down.
Villian calls (2.40) - This guy has shown some moxxy, so I'll be wary, but I *really* like where I'm at.
Everyone Else Folds
turn: [Tc]
WindBreak247 checks - Obviously I'm pretty sure I've got the best hand (I'm only scared of 33, 55, 10s, and A10), but I'd like to see where Villian is at.
Villian checks - Now I'm positive I've got the best hand.
river: [5h]
WindBreak247 bets (3.15) - I'm now only losing to pocket fives. I bet about half the pot, because first and foremost I want a call. But I think he's got a 5 here and I'm about to double through him.
Villian raises to (59) and is all-in - This came disturbingly fast
WindBreak247 says: "pocket 5s?"
WindBreak247 says: "that'd be sick"
WindBreak247 calls (33.15) and is all-in - I absolutely cannot fold the nut full house, can I???
Villian is refunded (25.85)
Villian shows [5s 5c] for four of a kind, fives
WindBreak247 shows [Ts Kd] for a full house, tens full of fives

Turns out this guy was ahead of me the entire way. Could I have played it in a manner where I'd have been able to get away from it, or is this just one of those disgusting hands that you have to deal with every few thousand hands?

Anyway, in spite of that hand, I took a very minor loss last night. I lost about $43 in cash, but I played two SNGs, taking 1st and 2nd (have I told you I love the Mansion SNGs?), and cleared a piece of my bonus (which I know shouldn't technically count), which left me about $7 down for the night.

Cash was (obviously) a struggle, as I took my lumps and waited patiently to make a big score but never quite did. I lost another sick $20-25 hand involving a flush on the river that villian had NO odds to chase after the flop and I didn't put him on at ALL, and also had my flopped set of 9s outrun by an obvious flush on the turn (I got away), and had flopped trips w/a K in my hand get outrun by a 4-flush on the river (I couldn't have played this hand worse, and just paid a small bet on the river to prove it). But in general I feel very comfortable at the table, have a pretty good feel for where I'm at any given hand, and if I'm patient, I can get them right where I want them.

The 2nd SNG I played in was unreal. Even I hated myself as I luckboxed my way out of the jaws of death FOUR times. I sucked out as a 60% dog for my tourney life when the board made a 4-flush with my K against Ax. I sucked out for my tourney life w/88 against 99 when the board came K 10 K 10 J. I sucked out for my tourney life w/A4 vs. QQ when the board came 356-7-Q. And finally, I sucked out as a 60% dog again when my Q10 paired a 10 against Ax. I'm not gonna apologize for the suckouts, though. Just the poker universe attempting to level itself out, and a little karma cashout. I should've won it, as my heads up opponent was nobody to write home about, but when a river card made me 2 pair and my opponent a straight, that was all she wrote.

I have a definite advantage in these SNGs, as most other players seem to not have the patience allowed by a SNG that actually has some play in it. This is especially apparent in the early stages, and then again in heads up. I feel like giving a $10 one a shot, simply because I think it'd be a +EV move, plus the things take 80-90 mins, so you can't play as many. But we shall see. So far I've invested $33 and cashed $58.50, and I'd like to keep it that way.

Thats plenty for today. I'm completely jealous of all you bloggers leaving over the next 2-3 days to head out to Vegas. Hope you all have a blast, and can't wait to hear of the debauchery.

2 comments:

lightning36 said...

No way most people can keep from losing their butt when going against quads if you have a great hand. Sounds like you played it right. Unfortunately, there is nothing worse then having the "second nuts."

Wolverine Fan said...

Tough beat on that one but sounds like your game is real solid right now.
Thanks for stopping by my blog.