Saturday, December 02, 2006

Heartbreaker

Well, I just busted out of my first blogger tourney in 31st out of 132 after a stellar performance.

"Stellar?" you say?

"But you got 31st. That's not great."

Well, I spent most of the tournament in the top 10, and of that time in the top 10, at least half of it in the top 5. At this point we're about an hour and 35 mins in, and I had spent the first hour and 15 mins or so in the top 10.

I went into a card-dead spell, but was hanging around the middle of the field, below the average, but w/more than 10 big blinds in my stack. I was perfectly fine with this situation.

And then THIS happened.

I'm dealt K7o in the big, and miraculously only the chip leader calls on the button. I happily check. The flop comes QK5. I check, to see what the button thinks about the flop. The button min-bets, and I call. The turn is another 5, counterfeiting my kicker. At this point I have less in my stack than what is in the pot, so I push it, happy to split, but hoping the button is on a Q. The button was NOT on a Q as she insta-calls and rolls the nuts on me. Just sick. Looking at it, there's pretty much no possible way I could've gotten her off her hand or not gotten all my chips in, so I guess that's about the only piece of mind I can take away. I suppose I *maybe* could've collected the blinds by pushing, but there's pretty much no way I'm ever doing that in this situation.

I was excited to get the field down to 30 as our table would've broken and I was hoping a change of scenery would help me out. Ironically, the table broke when I busted.

With 18 to go and 10 paying, our boy Lightning36 is still hanging around the bubble. I'm sure he won't have a problem working his way into the money. HERE is the tourney results page, so be sure to check on him.

Man, I felt like this tourney was poised to bail me out of my Poker.com busto, but I'm done in, yet again, by a sick turn of events.

Oh well...on to the rest of the weekend in the real world!

1 comment:

lightning36 said...

The poker gods were not with us today, bro. I saw that you were doing well and wondered what happened.

As for me ... someone raised with 8-8. I happened to have K-K, so I went all in and was suddenly one of the chip leaders late. Then, the killer hand ...

Flandrius bet 4,000 (double the BB, I think), so I put him on A-something. I had A-K and decided to push all in.

Now ... I was surprised that he called with A-J when he could be behind on so many hands. The flop was 6-Q-Q, so I was almost home doubling up. The turn: a Jack!! A King or a 10 on the river would have saved me, but the 9 put me out.

Damn. I have the hand, read my opponent to perfection, and still lose to a three outer. I go out in 13th place while Flandrius goes on to finish somewhere in the top five.

I guess that is why we love this game. Even if you play perfectly, the luck factor can kill you.

I usually shake off beats quickly, but this one really stings.