Thursday, April 19, 2007

All's Well that Ends Well

With the happenings of that last post eating away at me, after a nice dinner and walk with the lady Windbreaker, I just had to go back at it and see what kind of legs this whole variance streak had.

Well, turns out it was just little midget legs. I got back to some pretty strong play, pretty normal cards, and some really terrible players finding themselves on the rail where they belong instead of throwing down suckouts like that's how you play poker. I capped off the night with a couple of wins in a couple of $10 SNGs, and found myself a paltry $22 down and firmly back above the $200 mark, which felt like a win after that ugly 0-5 streak.

So if you wanna read about *real* variance, pay a visit to Fuel or Dragonystic, because my little run is like one bad river compared to what they're going through. Hope that gets turned around for them ASAP.

So I know in this day and age it is not easy, nor necessarily recommended, to be moving money in and out of poker sites, but lets just say I may end up with a need for some of my online bankroll to be liquefied at a certain point this summer, and incase I'm not able to turn my cash roll into something useable (although I'll be trying), I'm wondering what my best method of moving money at this point is going to be. I haven't moved any money since January, which is pre-Neteller desertion, and since then I've only heard random non-specific rumblings about the remaining processors. Could anyone give me some good advice on who they might recommend, or a place I can go to read reviews and/or experiences with who's left? Obviously I'd like it to be as painless and fee-free as possible, but it doesn't sound like there's any real standout remaining.

Also I've really been thinking a lot lately on a blog topic I would LOVE to see. I look at some of your more prominent, hardcore poker bloggers and players like Hoy or LUCKO, and whenever I see a screenshot, they've always got player notes on most of the table. From time to time when a player makes the occasional horrendous or outstanding play that I notice, I'll make note of it. Or when a player is making the same type of play over and over, its obvious that it would be good to note that. But in the end, I usually only end up with notes on 2 or maybe 3 players max in any given SNG I play, but usually not any, and even more rarely in a cash game. Just because nothing ever jumps out at me enough to note. And I haven't even begun to start using the various colors to my advantage. But I'm sure I'm either 1) not looking closely enough, or 2) looking to make too general of a note when I could be just noting individual plays and letting those add up to come together for a good read. Maybe this has been done before, and if so point me in the right direction, but I would LOVE to see a post on player notes and what some of your more prominent bloggers (ie the ones that play and post a lot) note on their opponents. I would love it if I could sit down at a $10 or $20 SNG and have a note on a player I've played with before because every time I play a SNG I get notes on all 5 or 8 of my opponents. Also, the more I'm noting, the more it means I'm paying attention to the players at the table, which also never hurts. Anyway, I know that I could probably start taking down little things here and there and form my own style of note taking, but I am also extremely interested in what others are looking for to note. I'll probably send emails to a couple of bloggers and see if they're at all interested, but if you, my 4 readers, had any particular passion to write about this and maybe we could start some sort of ripple effect on posting on noting strategy, I think it would be one of those things that could really have a strong impact on the blogging community. Its one of those things that I think a lot of people use, but they don't really think or talk about because its just inherent in their game, and for someone like me who is continually looking to improve not only my abilities as a player, but also my reading abilities, and looking for that advantage at a table before a hand is even dealt, a good post or 5 on note-taking would mean worlds to my game.

Anyway, I'm gonna chase down a couple of bloggers and see if they're interested. Hopefully they are, because while I'm thinking about this for my own benefit, I also think it would be a massive benefit to all of us.

Look at that. I did it again. Took a little blog post and turned it into a novel. I guess its just who I am.

I'm outta here. Check ya later.

4 comments:

Hammer Player a.k.a Hoyazo said...

Hey Windbreak. I will consider doing a post on note taking one day soon. It certainly is something that makes me laugh out loud when I hear of other regular online players who don't take notes -- I know many of them btw. There is no doubt whatsoever that if you're not taking advantage of the note features of the online sites, then you are leaving a significant benefit to your game on the table.

While I would not want to divulge exactly what notes I take on various people, I think there is room there for a general discussion of the kind of notes I take and what I generally tend to focus on when I look to make notes on players. I'll throw this idea in the hopper and let you know if a post is going up.

Thanks for the idea, I like it.

WindBreak247 said...

You're the man, Hoy. I think you would be my perfect choice to write something on note-taking, since I'm amazed by your screen shots just how many you take, you have good attention to detail, plus you have a good, detailed writing style to cover it. Thanks for taking it into consideration, and I hope you feel compelled to put something together soon!

Mr Subliminal said...

Coincidentally, my last post was on note taking. Basically, color code purple means moron.

WindBreak247 said...

Sweet. I'll have to check that out...and apparently I'll have to get you on my subscription list!